Thursday, July 3, 2008

writing a novel -- where to start

What would you do to begin crafting a novel?
Well, obviously, you have to develop the characters backgrounds so you know where everyone is basically coming from (yes, ending with a preposition, better for the basic
vernacular; hope it does not make you nuts).
I am working on book two of my series. I have decided to do a hero's journey for each main character, so I know what they want, where basically I want them to go, and what their end goal (emotionally and plot wise) should be.
It worked pretty well last time for my first manuscript since I have multiple points of view. I have found that keeping that basic need and general plot points foremost in my mind helps me from getting off track and wandering into meaningless scenes and pointless dialogue.
Anyway that's my plan.
How do you plan when you begin a major story?

No comments: